Speaker, author, educator, consultant, mentor. Below is the latest of my writing and co-writing. It is based on my experiences as a professional, and Autistic community member.
My Latest Posts
- Why is getting diagnosed with autism so difficult?Thr Autistic community has written at length about why getting a diagnosis is so hard, especially with regards to those at particular intersections of experience. I myself have spoken about how our diagnostic understanding of autism is based on the Autistic person in distress. Current models used to diagnose simply do not work. There isContinue reading “Why is getting diagnosed with autism so difficult?”
- Five things I want parents of neurodivergent children to knowIt can be very difficult to wrap your head around neurodiversity when you have spent your life being taught that any deviation from the status quo is a disorder. It’s all the more overwhelming when your child is discovered to be neurodivergent, and suddenly, you live on a battlefield between advocates and professionals. In thisContinue reading “Five things I want parents of neurodivergent children to know”
- Neuroqueering and the Autistic expression of painNeuroqueering is a liberational practice. It allows the person to express themselves authentically. But what if authentic expression of Self could cost you your life? What if the people observing you are basing their judgements on a majority group that does not express themselves in the same way that you do? This is why weContinue reading “Neuroqueering and the Autistic expression of pain”
- What purpose does the concept of mental “illness” serve?As a Schizophrenic person, I see many talk about me as being mentally “ill” and in need of medicine. I do take medication, but for me, medication usage is similar to what one might see within ADHD communities. Medicine is a tool, not a treatment. It allows me to function in environments that are notContinue reading “What purpose does the concept of mental “illness” serve?”
- A Schizophrenic woman was dead three years before being found: Here’s why that happenedThis article will be upsetting to read. Click here to read the news story. Laura Winham was a Schizophrenic woman. I don’t know much about her, but I can imagine what her life might have looked like. Schizophrenia is a peculiar form of neurodivergence. I know from personal experience that this particular neurology can makeContinue reading “A Schizophrenic woman was dead three years before being found: Here’s why that happened”