Speaker, writer, educator, consultant, mentor. Below is the latest of my writing and co-writing. It is based on my experiences as a professional, Autistic community member.
My Latest Posts
- Autistic community, identity, and the sense of selfDuring my years of active addiction, I had no concept of who I was beyond being a drug and alcohol user. For this reason, I felt trapped into my substance use, unable to escape the horror that I was habitually inflicting upon myself. I finally found sobriety, but was clinging on desperately. That’s when itContinue reading “Autistic community, identity, and the sense of self”
- Neurostandardisation: considering the oppression of neurodivergent individualsFor quite some time now, the neurodiversity movement has spoken about the harmfulness of behavioural techniques. These techniques are used to prevent the outward indications of the Autistic neurotype. They are generally aimed at children, and almost always lead to significant harm being done. The use of such techniques belongs to a wider issue withContinue reading “Neurostandardisation: considering the oppression of neurodivergent individuals”
- Radical Advocacy: Being an advocate in a hate filled worldRecently I have found myself considering the direction that my advocacy is taking. I have found myself reading extensively on “autism theory” and, on the other hand, writings by actually Autistic authors. At first I felt broken by what I had realised. Our world is built on a paradigm that by design oppresses anyone outsideContinue reading “Radical Advocacy: Being an advocate in a hate filled world”
- Creating Autistic Suffering: Neuronormativity in mental health treatmentThis article was co-authored between David Gray-Hammond and Tanya Adkin Trigger Warning: This article contains mentions of systemic mistreatment in the mental health setting, traumatisation, references to pathologizing theories and language, mention of cultural ignorance, and discussion of mental health conditions inlcuding cluster B diagnosis and misdiagnosis. It seems to be common knowledge in theContinue reading “Creating Autistic Suffering: Neuronormativity in mental health treatment”
- Medication stigma and overcoming the shame of societies blameI was happy to see that Autistic Inclusive Meets have restarted the #ShowUsYourMeds campaign. Campaigns like this are essential in normalising the life-saving medication that so many of us rely on day-to-day. Stigma surrounding the use of medication, in particular for the treatment of mental health issues, is still widely prevalent in society, with manyContinue reading “Medication stigma and overcoming the shame of societies blame”